Saturday 16 October 2010

Day 4 - Residency (Stratford Grove)

A really useful conversation with Carole helped me decide what direction to go in today. I knew I needed to do something with the other materials I had collected and stored in the project space and I started the day with the feeling that I should be trying to build something monumental with them.

So as a first step I joined two posts together.....



But then I felt stuck and this is when the conversation with Carole happened. We reflected on what I was trying to do with this residency, which was allowing space for experimentation and play and also to a certain extent leaving it to chance as to what materials I would find and have at my disposal. So with a very helpful suggestion from Carole I didn't listen to my construction anxiety (!) and decided to take a step back and experiment simply with the materials and their placement and combination in the space. Not necessarily to construct but perhaps more to display.





I've got one final day before the closing event tomorrow which feels about right.

Time to do some final tweaking and playing around with placement and maybe some final experiments with the expanding foam (seeing as I have the materials to hand). Then it will be interesting to get feedback and comments at the crit on Sunday afternoon.

And finally - last night we went to the opening of the Laura Lancaster show at the Workplace Gallery in Gateshead, walking back over the river into town with great views across the city.
http://www.workplacegallery.co.uk/exhibitions/_29/

No comments:

Post a Comment